51 Things To Do
When in Rockport-Fulton, Try Some of These Fun Activities
1. FULTON MANSION & EDUCATION HISTORY CENTER
- The 1870's French Second Empire structure is the former home of cattleman George W. Fulton. Innovative for its time, the house features several modern conveniences such as indoor plumbing, central lighting and heating. Call 729-0386 for hours and fee.
2. TEXAS MARITIME MUSEUM
- Experience the rich maritime heritage of Texas from Spanish exploration to the search for offshore oil and gas. You can experience how Texas has relied on the sea to become the great state that it is today. Fee. Located across from Rockport Harbor. Call 729-6644.
3. ROCKPORT CENTER FOR THE ARTS
- Rooms filled with monthly changing exhibits. Members gallery room displaying the many talents of local artists. No admission. Call 729-5519 for hours.
4. ROCKPORT BEACH
- Visit Texas’ first 1 mile long Blue Wave Beach with picnic cabanas, walking trail, restroom facilities, wildlife sanctuary, boat ramps, fishing piers and a fantastic playground for the children.
5. ARANSAS PATHWAYS
- Are you looking for adventure…birding, history, trails, kayaking! Go to: www.aransaspathways.com.
6. CONNIE HAGAR WILDLIFE REFUGE
- Step on the platform at the Rockport Beach Park or across from McDonalds and look across at the tremendous number of bird species living on the small islands in the bay.
7. TOUR THE MANY ART GALLERIES
- Take a gallery walk. Call or stop by the Chamber Visitor Center for brochure listing locations and hours.
8. HISTORICAL WALKING/DRIVING TOUR
- Stop by the Chamber Visitor Center and pick up an audio cassette tape. (Small Fee)
9. WALK THE WALKING TRAIL
- Call the visitor's center or go to www.aransaspathways.com for locations.
10. FULTON PIER
- The fish are waiting for you at the Fulton pier located at Fulton Navigation Park.
11. WINDMILL IN THE TREE
- During the Hurricane of 1919 what is believed to be the blade of the Fulton's windmill is lodged in the tree behind the Fulton Mansion. Call the Chamber Visitor Center for details.
12. CITY PARKS
- Visit our City Parks for fitness trails, playground equipment, tennis and basketball courts and picnic areas. Pick up a parks brochure at the Chamber Visitor Center.
13. SPIRIT COLUMNS
- Located on Laurel Drive between the Festival Grounds and the Ski Basin, Rockport's first Public Art was created by world-class sculptor Jesus Bautista Moroles in honor of the volunteers of Aransas County.
- Play volleyball on the sand at the Rockport Beach. Two courts are available.
- Have you gone crabbing off the many piers in the area? Stop by the Visitors Center for details.
16. SHOP 'TIL YOU DROP
- Visit the many stores in the Austin Street downtown Rockport area, Harbor Oaks Shopping Village, Live Oak Plaza, SeaAire Shopping Center, Fulton Beach Road, downtown Fulton area and many others throughout the community.
17. MASTER GARDENERS
- Tour Coastal Oaks Garden. See how our gardens grow. 892 Airport Rd (Tentative opening Fall 2012).
18. BIRDING SPOTS
- A color booklet with checklist and driving guide is available at the Chamber Visitor Center.
19. BIG TREE
- Visit a 1,000+-year old tree measuring over 38 feet in circumference. Take Park Rd. 13 in Lamar and follow the signs.
20. COPANO CAUSEWAY PIER
- Have you driven by or fished on what is believed to be the longest pier in the world? From the Chamber Visitor Center, take SH 35 North and travel approximately 8 miles.
21. ZACHARY TAYLOR TREE
- This historic landmark is the site of where Gen. Zachary Taylor and his troops camped during 1845. Ask the Chamber Visitor Center for more details.
22. ARANSAS NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
- Take Hwy. 35 North to FM 774 turn right and follow signs. (35-40 miles) Interpretive Center. Admission.
23. SCHOENSTATT SHRINE
- In Lamar off Park Rd. 13 is a beautiful, authentic shrine of sisters of the Schoenstatt. Sunday service in facility area. Chapel open for daily prayer.
24. STELLA MARIS CHAPEL
- (Lamar) The first church built in Aransas County still stands. Over 100 years old. Original altar in place.
25. LAMAR CEMETERY
- (Lamar) For history lovers, see burials from Confederate Army and some from 1700's.
26. WINDSWEPT OAK TREES
- See these live oak trees that are permanently leaning due to the prevailing winds of the southeast.
27. PLAY BRIDGE, CANASTA OR MAHJONG
- Play Bridge, Canasta and/or Mahjong many places around town. Call the Viisitor Center for locations.
- Have you treated yourself to a delicious seafood dish at one of over 30 restaurants? Try the stuffed shrimp ... Yum!
29. WHOOPING CRANE BOAT CRUISE
- From November to March take a sightseeing boat to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge and see the Whooping Crane and other species of bird and wildlife.
30. ROCKPORT CEMETERY
- Visit the graves of most of the family of George Ware Fulton. Also, self-taught ornithologist Connie Hagar. In the spring, the wildflowers are beautiful.
31. COMMUNITY POOL & SKATE PARK
- Visit our Community Aquatic & Skate Park at Colorado & Stadium Drive for a lap pool, kids' area, recreation and more.
32. VISIT THE BIG BLUE CRAB
- Rockport’s famous landmark from the 60’s & 70’s has been recreated & has a new home by Little Bay, close to the entrance to the Rockport Beach. Be sure to stand under it & get your picture taken.
33. MEETING FACILITIES
- On Fulton Harbor see where square dancing began in Aransas County at the Paws & Taws Building. Find out about many Winter Texan events held here in December through March. On Rockport Beach discover the Saltwater Pavilion which is a great meeting place with ample amenities and a great view of the water.
34. CANAL SUBDIVISIONS
- Drive to see areas such as Key Allegro, Harbor Oaks, City By The Sea, Palm Harbor, Holiday Beach, Bahia Bay, Copano Ridge and others.
- Pick up a listing of area golf courses at the Chamber Visitor Center.
36. FISHING GUIDE TO ROCKPORT-FULTON
- Stop by the Chamber Visitor Center for a booklet on fishing. The booklet includes profiles and pictures of professional fishing guides in the area.
37. COMPASS ROSE LABYRINTH
- Visit the labyrinth in Triangle Park. Spring brings wildflowers.
38. SALTWATER POOL
- At the North end of Rockport Beach Park take a dip in a natural Saltwater Pool! Cabanas located nearby.
- Visit some of the art galleries in the downtown area and witness "Paint-A-longs" as artists get together and paint.
40. WATCH THE SUNRISE
- The sun rising over the bay is truly remarkable to see and photograph. (Oh, the sunset is great, too!) Take your pick...
41. AQUARIUM AT ROCKPORT HARBOR AND EDUCATION CENTER
- is Open! See and Learn - Free Admission. Call 361-729-2328.
42. INTERPRETIVE NATURE TRAIL - DEMONSTRATION GARDEN & WETLANDS POND
- Experience the sights and sounds of nature in a wetland environment in the midst of our town. 19 interpretive stops lead you .8 of a mile (one way).
43. KITE FLYING
- Winds over Aransas Bay are great not only good for windsurfing and sailing but kite flying, too! Great kite flying area at Rockport Beach Park.
44. KAYAK RENTALS
- Kayak in Little Bay and see nature up close and personal. For launch sites, go to www.aransaspathways.com.
45. GOOSE ISLAND STATE PARK
- Great for fishing, touring, camping and sightseeing. Huge lighted fishing pier. Seasonal Birding Tours. Interpretive talks.
46. FAMILY PICNIC ON THE BEACH
- Many cabanas are available for picnics. Don't forget to take food for the seagulls!
- During the winter months, the game of Bingo can be played at different places almost every night of the week and some year-round!
48. BOAT RENTALS
- From small to large, barge style to flat fishing, there is a rental for you. Contact the Chamber Visitor Center for details.
49. ROCKPORT HARBOR LIGHTED N JETTY & S JETTY PIER
- Travel to the end of Rockport Harbor & walk or fish along the jetties late in the evening or early in the morning; the S Jetty Pier is at end of Market St.
50. FULTON HARBOR
- Walk along the harbors and maybe get a glimpse of shrimp boats arriving and unloading.
51. BAY EDUCATION CENTER
- Learn about our bays & estuaries View the Free programs of “Science on a Sphere” Open Tues – Sat 1 – 4pm Programs 1 pm & 3pm
…OR JUST RELAX AND DO ABSOLUTEY NOTHING!
Inside the Chamber
Join Our Mailing List
Big Blue Crab is Back!!!